Thermal Deburr Systems
ATL Germany partners with JAYCO Cleaning Technologies to offer Thermal Deburr (TEM) Systems. Specifically suitable for removal of production related internal burrs from machined parts, ATL is a technology leader offering German designed and manufactured systems.
This unique process and fast cycle times are ideal for deburring machined manifold blocks, precision machined parts and specific bulk parts. Achieve the best possible deburring results from sharp to rounded edges.
With high process reliability, the ATL Thermal Deburr Systems provide uniform deburring of all inside and outside burrs in one operation.
With an intuitive touch-screen, iTEM 250 SC/320 SC, iTEM 400, iTEM 400/600, and iTEM Plastics can be managed with individual automation or robot handling for incredibly fast cycle times of the single shot or double shot. Operating gas includes oxygen and methane, or hydrogen, with safety arrangements that include UL certified, ATEX, CE marking, and a precise gas monitoring system.
What is Thermal Deburring?
The material to be removed is burned due to a chemical reaction between the material and the gas mixture. For this purpose, the workpieces are placed in a bell-shaped deburring chamber which is hydraulically closed by a closing plate. An accurately defined mixture of gases is fed into the deburring chamber via a gas metering system and ignited by a spark. The temperature of the subsequent combustion ranges from 2,500 to 3,300 °C (4,532 to 5,972 °F). In this process, the burr reaches its ignition temperature and reacts with the excess oxygen inside the deburring chamber. This leads to a complete combustion of the burr within 20 ms.
What can be Thermally Deburred?
Achieve the best possible deburring results from sharp to rounded edges on a variety of metals including iron, steel, and die cast metals and even plastics. Thermal deburring is most applicable to parts with flag type burrs that are created by sharp machining tools with a uniform thickness and consistent shape. A minimum wall thickness of approximately 0.030" is required for thermal deburring to ensure the part is not distorted during the process. The closer the wall thicknesses or part features are to the same thickness as the burr, the more likely it is to warp.
- Uniform deburring of all inside and outside burrs in one operation, high process reliability
- No influence on the surface structure (surfaces of Plastic parts become smoother)
- The deburring result from sharp edges (burr free) to rounded edges (material-dependent)
- Unique cleanliness and fast cycle times
- Suitable for highest quantities, but the low energy cost
- No wearing tools needed
- Very significant reduction of manual labor associated with parts deburring
- Simple fixture tools
- Component geometry is a subordinate parameter
- The process is suitable for bulk goods
iTEM - Safety First
The thermal-chemical deburring is a process where an explosive mixture of fuel gas and oxygen is fed into a pressure chamber and ignited by a spark. Naturally, such machines underlie increased safety requirements, because they are subject to the “pressure vessel regulations”. All iTEM-systems include the following safety-related single components:
- Sound insulating cabinet. This cabinet offers noise protection and, in addition, protection from unintentional reaching. Control system. The logic part of the control system is a programmable control that is structured as an acknowledging sequence control with repeat lock. This eliminates maloperation of the machine.
- Ignition control unit A minimal-pressure-monitor assures that an ignition can only be initiated, once all necessary closing forces are pending in the cylinders. Due to the combustion of the gas mixture inside the deburring chamber, heat is produced and detected by the ignition control unit. Only after this, the command to open the chamber can be set. When there is no ignition within a determined period of time after the command “ignition on”, viz. no heat is released, the ignition control unit reports “no ignition” and the chamber is bled automatically. Final pressure of the deburring chamber A maximum permissible chamber filling pressure is preset for every deburring chamber. A maximum pressure- monitor assures that, even in the case of maloperation, no overfill of the deburring chamber can occur.
- Opening pressure of the deburring chamber A pressurized deburring chamber can only be opened after a successful ignition or venting of the chamber. The venting is initiated by discharging the deburring chamber via a throttled vent pipe (above the roof). Only when the chamber pressure is <1.5 bar (preset pressure switch), the chamber can be opened.
- Gas monitoring system It consists of a central controller and a measuring head. The explosion-proof measuring head is mounted inside the sound insulating cabinet. A congeries of combustible fuel gas inside the sound insulation cabinet leads to the disconnection of the TEM machine’s electrical supply before reaching the lower explosion limit (LEL). The gas supply is also disrupted by the system, as there is an explosion danger in case of spark generation.